Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 02:42:13 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Administrivia - list charter

Roger M. Bondy <...@...erbondy.net> posted the following question:
> What are the topics that I may post about here?

Unfortunately, Roger's message was posted to an existing thread and with
that thread's Subject, so I've rejected it - but I am going to address
his question on the list anyway by re-posting the list charter (perhaps
it's time to do that).

Well, this is not really a formal charter (I haven't bothered to write
one yet), but rather it is a description of my current stance on
off-topic postings and on what, in my opinion, should (not) be posted to
this mailing list.

The following are some examples of topics that are desirable on this
mailing list:

+ Sharing of experience with using John the Ripper (case studies, useful
hints, reviews, benchmarks, etc. - and follow-up postings to those, with
corrections, comments, and/or reasonable questions).

+ Announcements of other tools to be used in conjunction with John the
Ripper (shell scripts, JtR source code patches, separate applications).
Small pieces of source code may be posted to the list (in message bodies
or as text/plain attachments), whereas for large and/or binary files
only download URLs may be posted.

+ Discussions of the inner workings of John the Ripper.

+ Discussions of other _closely_ related matters (e.g., password
security of different operating systems, password security policies and
how to enforce them).

The following are some topics that are _not_ closely related to John the
Ripper and thus are considered off-topic here:

- Questions on how to crack passwords of remote systems (e-mail
accounts, websites, etc.), without prior access to password files of
those systems.

As an exception, case studies, _advanced_ descriptions of remote attacks
with subsequent uses of John the Ripper, and information on how John the
Ripper may be used with remote password probing tools may be posted.

- Private discussions, or any messages that are unlikely to benefit
more than a single intended recipient (e.g., "I'll answer your question
soon").  These should be sent to the particular recipient, not to the
mailing list.

P.S. We're at around 550 current subscribers.  This mailing list is
pre-moderated (but on some occasions undesirable postings may get
through - moderation errors do occur).

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15