Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 20:30:27 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Matt D. <dobbinsm@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Mac OS X 10.4 Hashes..

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:37:10PM -0500, Nate Peck wrote:
> > Can John handle salted SHA1 hashes, like the ones in OSX?
>
> Yes, but only if you apply a patch to add this support.  Apparently,
> this one works for salted SHA-1 hashes as used on OS X:
>
> 	http://fsbsoftware.com/john-1.7-saltsha1.diff
>
> Please don't forget to let all of us know how it's worked for you!
>
> > If so, how would one specify the right type?
>
> The above patch uses "salt-sha1" to refer to this hash type, but you
> shouldn't have to specify that explicitly.  If your input file is of the
> right format, the hash type should be autodetected.
>
> > And is this possible with the MPI patches to John?
>
> You should be able to apply both the above patch and an MPI patch at the
> same time, possibly with minor tweaks.  I do not recommend the use of
> the MPI patches, though.

Does anyone know of an update to this patch for support in Linux?
The patch works fine in Mac OSX, but does not seem to work in
Linux. When I try to run john against the same hashes in Linux it
returns the error "Self test failed. (get_hash[0])". It seems to be
breaking during the test of the first hash specified in the
saltSHA1_fmt.c file.

Thanks.