Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:51:32 -0600
From: "Randy B" <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: how to find a password of 16 digits

> According to many pages, it is said that the only way of finding a WPA key is trying a wordlist with the handshake.
Correct.  Thus far, brute-force attacks are the only publicly-known
attack vectors for WPA-PSK.

> Now you speak about reducing my search set. - How can I reduce my process further, under the assumption of not knowing more than of 16 digits?
I'm not sure you can.  At least you seem to have eliminated alphabetic
and special characters - that's a huge reduction.  Unless you can
identify another pattern (always divisible by X, character groupings,
etc.), you've probably done as much as you can.

> You wrote about hash implementations and character frequency analysis. - But how can this be done with the handshake capture file?
It can't - it would have to be done against a set of already-known
PSKs from the same manufacturer using the same generation process.
You may even find that this 16-digit code is some kind of transform of
the AP's MAC address, although I'd hate to see something as simple as
that.

You're headed down the right road using aircrack-ng, but realize that
aircrack-ng is going to be your processing bottleneck.  On a dual
2.4GHz P-IV Xeon setup I have, I was only able to handle roughly 320
candidates per second using both processors for aircrack-ng (down from
John's capability of generating ~3.4m per second).  There's a lot of
processing involved in trying to crush WPA - according to aircrack-ng
I was averaging ~280k cracks per second.  I'll try this on the BIG
machine in a bit (dual Xeon 5160), but AFAICT John is not going to be
a holdup at all.