Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:19:03 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Need Help with JTR's rules

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 03:35:25PM +0100, websiteaccess wrote:
>  I would like a word of 4 charaters (for example : "wolf") become
> "wwoollff"

There's no convenient way to do that, so we have to resort to hacks like
the following four rules:

	<2d
	>1<3f}
	>2<4f}fD3D3D3'6
	>3<5f}ffD3D3D3D3D3D5D5D6D6D6D6D6D6D6'8

for lengths up to 4 (or for the resulting candidate passwords of lengths
up to 8).

>  I have tested (and many others)  "x11d Mx21d Mx31d Mx41d"

This doesn't make sense.  The "x" command leaves only the extracted
portion (in your case, one character in position 1), dropping the rest.
Also, the "M" command only makes sense if ever followed by a "Q"; it is
not intended and does not work for any other purpose.  Finally,
character positions are numbered from 0, not 1.

Perhaps the rules syntax should be extended or re-worked in a future
version of John to make it possible to operate on parts of the word,
yet not drop the rest of the input word completely.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar