Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 07:51:50 +0300
From: SmarTeam Support <smarteam.support@...il.com>
To: Rich Duzenbury <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re:  Cracking password in nearly known format

Hello Rich,

> How can I convince john to try passwords in that format?  I've read RULES, but
> it seems un-intuitive.

if you would like to try all variants - you can do it by adding these
lines to your john.conf and running "john -external=aaa0000"

[List.External:aaa0000]
void init()
{
word[0] = 'a';
word[1] = 'a';
word[2] = 'a';
word[3] = '0';
word[4] = '0';
word[5] = '0';
word[6] = '/';
word[7] = 0;
}

void generate()
{
if(++word[6]>'9')
{
word[6] = '0';
if(++word[5]>'9')
{
word[5] = '0';
if(++word[4]>'9')
{
word[4] = '0';
if(++word[3]>'9')
{
word[3] = '0';
if(++word[2]>'z')
{
word[2] = 'a';
if(++word[1]>'z')
{
word[1] = 'a';
if(++word[0]>'z') word = 0;
}
return;
}
}
}
}
}
}

> Also, in this case, I think I know the first three letters, so it should be very
> fast to have john try aaa0000-aaa9999, if I can convince him to try them.

but, if you have limited number of variants of what these three
letters in the beginning are you can modify the external mode to narrow
the limits, or, which i think is easier, you can try the wordlist
rules...
first of all make a file with all the variants of this
"three-letter-beginning" you are thinking of. next - in john.conf
comment all lines with "#" sign in List.Wordlist:Rules section and add
following
this will append 4 digits at the enf of a word from your wordlist.

the command to run john is the following

john -rules -wordlist=Rich.txt

--
Best regards,
 SmarTeam                            mailto:smarteam.support@...il.com