Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:26:00 -0500
From: "Randy B" <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR and os X macintel

On 10/5/06, Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com> wrote:
> Actually from a CPU usage screen shot I received from websiteaccess,
> MacOSX seems to have about 80% of one core and 50% of the 2nd core in
> use while running John.  The MacOSX equivalent of "top" shows 99%
> usage by john the ripper alone at the same time.   MacOSX may be
> distributing the load across both processors or even SSE2 units, but
> I am not certain.  It could explain the high benchmarks though.

This smells suspiciously like 'Irix' mode in top, where the CPU% is of
an individual processor/core in a multi-processor unit (hence 99% CPU
in a single thread).  Check the idle time, and if possible hit '1'
during top to split out the individual processors' loads.  Then I'll
start to believe Apple has done something of the sort.  If you hit 'I'
(capital I, a first-person pronoun) and the CPU% magically decreases
to ~50% (or ~25%, like in my system), it's a dead giveaway.  Also
adding in the CPU affinity ('f', then 'j') would be an additional step
I'd take.

> An interesting test would be benchmarks on a new dual xeon Mac Pro.
> Any graphics designers out there with these new machines?

FWIW, the benchmark I provided above was from a system that is the
moral equivalent of the 3GHz Mac Pro.  During runtime it was *very*
obvious that it was only saturating a single core.