Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 04:15:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Administrivia - Subjects, quoting, off-topic postings

Hi,

Several recent postings, including rushi harkal's, make me re-post these
basic requirements.  Here we go:

Whenever you post something on a new topic, please be sure to post it as
an entirely new message - _not_ by hitting "Reply" on someone else's
posting.  Please also make sure to set a descriptive message Subject.

If you see that someone else has not followed this procedure, but you'd
like to comment on their message, please change the Subject (like I did
now), but do not break the existing thread (so "Reply" to the message).

It is helpful to have descriptive Subjects on incoming e-mail and this
affects threading in web-based archives of the list.

Please also do not quote context that is not relevant to your postings
(but do quote a few lines of relevant context if that is needed to
understand your posting).

Now let me respond to rushi harkal -

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:04:56PM +0530, rushi harkal wrote:
> 1. how can i get SAM data base without Admin rights,

I am afraid that this _question_ is off-topic here.  However, if anyone
is willing to post an _advanced_ answer nevertheless, that other posting
would be OK (as material likely of interest to multiple subscribers).
(Please set the message Subject on any such answer as appropriate.)

> 2. How 2 encrypt the pass word hashesh

I can interpret this question in many different ways.  Please try to be
more specific in your questions.  Here are a few problems with the above
question that prevent me (and others) from providing a reasonable answer
to it:

1. John the Ripper is primarily about detecting weak _hashed_ passwords -
not about any "encryption".  I understand that lots of people don't
understand the difference between hashing and encryption, but this makes
it difficult to interpret questions.  Did the above question refer to
hashing some passwords, only incorrectly referring to this process as
"encryption", or did it possibly refer to SYSKEY encryption of password
hashes or the like?

2. How to do that (whatever it is) on _what_ OS?

3. ...for what purpose?

> (I dont wann to break password by using JOHN RIPPER)

If you're not going to use John the Ripper, then why are you posting
this to john-users?

rushi - if you would like to provide any clarifications on your question
and discuss it further (assuming that you're positive that the question
is on-topic), please be sure to set the message Subject on your response
according to the matter of your question and to only quote relevant bits
from my message.

P.S. As it relates to those posting unsubscribe requests to the list (a
wrong thing to do) and even someone from AOL posting an empty message, I
have manually unsubscribed all of them and also added their e-mail
addresses to a blacklist.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598