Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:24:57 +0200
From: Mutante <mutante@....org>
To:  john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: "john@...e"?

Hi,

out of curiosity and an interest in taking part in Distributed Computing
projects, especially SETI@...e:

Quite a few people might have heard of SETI@...e, and that by now it has
evolved into the BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network
Computing)[1] framework which can support many other distributed
computing projects[2] like Einstein@...e, Rosetta@...e etc..
It also allows creating new projects [3] ..

Quote: " BOINC is designed to support applications that have large
computation requirements, storage requirements, or both. A project can
gain access to many TeraFLOPs of CPU power and Terabytes of storage."[4]

Now i also learned about the existence of DJohn (Distributed John) [5]
and it made me wonder about whether it would be possible to use the
Boinc clients to crack passwords. I would install Boinc on several
desktops in a company and they would run as screensaver, normally
supporting SETI@...e or another public interest project, but i could
also use them to check for weak passwords by simply switching the client
to another project, (d)johnd being a local project within the company LAN.
The boinc software already allows fine tuning of percentages of
resources given to different projects running at the same time.
Then that raises another question, what if somebody created a a global
"john@...e" project, hmm but i guess that would be very similar to the
RC5 challenge [6]. I was just wondering , i hope you didnt find this too
offtopic.

Greets,

Daniel

Links: