Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 03:48:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john support for multicore / multi-cpu systems?

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 02:28:15PM +0200, john@...ymann.de wrote:
> are there any plans to support Multi-Core/Multi-CPU systems (beside
> mpi or pvm based approaches)? It would be nice to have the possibility
> to spawn "n" processes or threads (e.g. by using an additional command
> line option like "-cpu 4") to increase processing speed.

I might implement this eventually, but it is not specifically planned
for the next release.

One idea I've been considering is to implement this as a special case of
generic distributed processing support (which also does not exist yet).
The password hashes to crack would not need to be passed to the
individual "nodes" - instead, fork() would be used after initial
startup, resulting in memory savings.  AF_INET sockets would be replaced
with pipes.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598