Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:47:36 +0200 (CEST)
From: rembrandt@...erlin.de
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: cathcart@...nbsd.org
Subject: Re: faster scan for blowfish on OpenBSD 3.9

> I am using John 1.6.40 on OpenBSD 3.9 on a P-III 665MHz PC. My target
> is to get the password of a single user which is in OpenBSD's blowfish
> format. The password is 12 characters long and a combination of
> [A-Za-z0-9] and meta-characters. I also have a dictionary which is
> 50megs & john uses this as my default dictionary. But seems like I
> cannot crack the password.
>
> I been doing single crack mode as it shown in my /etc/john.conf -
>
> # "Single crack" mode rules
> [List.Rules:Single]
>
> I did a "john format=bf --users=username master.password" but to no avail.
>
> guesses: 0  time: 0:01:46:53 0% (2)  c/s: 57.35  trying: belurelsen
>
> # john --show master.passwd
>
> 0 password hashes cracked, 5 left
>
> I ran it for about 3 hours with little luck.
>
> I also did a
>
>  john --format=bf  --incremental=ALL --users=1002 master.passwd
>
> while putting the incremental in /etc/john.conf file -
>
> [Incremental:All]
> File=/usr/local/share/john/all.chr
> MinLen=11
> MaxLen=12
> CharCount=95
>
> but john is not taking the MinLen as 11.
>
> Can john crack this password if I run it for long enough or should I
> try any other method?
>
> john --format=bf  --incremental --users=1002 passwd
>
> Is there anything else I should try to make the crack faster?
>
> --
> to the automated confirmation request that will be sent to you.

--Also forwarded tot he Portmaintainer-- :-)

Use the latest STABLE john-version.... :-D
Why the maintainer dosn`t update the Port for current is a riddle to me..
He wrote me already if I would test a Port (for a little older Version)
and I wrote him back that I and Solar tested it on my local box.. since
that I never heared anythign and the Port is STILL not commited..not even
to CURRENT..

Maybe he has no spare time but a simple cvs commit...hm.. isn`t such a
huge job...

So use the latest stable john and you`ll get SSE wich may, or may not,
help you. ;)
Btw: a faster CPU helps much more... :]

Kind regards,
Rembrandt