Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:13:38 +1000
From: "atstake atstake" <atstake@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: faster scan for blowfish on OpenBSD 3.9

I am using John 1.6.40 on OpenBSD 3.9 on a P-III 665MHz PC. My target
is to get the password of a single user which is in OpenBSD's blowfish
format. The password is 12 characters long and a combination of
[A-Za-z0-9] and meta-characters. I also have a dictionary which is
50megs & john uses this as my default dictionary. But seems like I
cannot crack the password.

I been doing single crack mode as it shown in my /etc/john.conf -

# "Single crack" mode rules
[List.Rules:Single]

I did a "john format=bf --users=username master.password" but to no avail.

guesses: 0  time: 0:01:46:53 0% (2)  c/s: 57.35  trying: belurelsen

# john --show master.passwd

0 password hashes cracked, 5 left

I ran it for about 3 hours with little luck.

I also did a

 john --format=bf  --incremental=ALL --users=1002 master.passwd

while putting the incremental in /etc/john.conf file -

[Incremental:All]
File=/usr/local/share/john/all.chr
MinLen=11
MaxLen=12
CharCount=95

but john is not taking the MinLen as 11.

Can john crack this password if I run it for long enough or should I
try any other method?

john --format=bf  --incremental --users=1002 passwd

Is there anything else I should try to make the crack faster?