Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:03:12 +0200
From: "Otheus (aka Timothy J. Shelling)" <otheus@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: to MPI or not MPI john?

> Of course, this "word checksumming and skipping" approach is far from
> perfect.  It won't scale well, except with slow salted hashes (and
> multiple salts actually loaded).

This I have trouble grasping. Is the problem that with unsalted or fast
hashes,
the word-checksumming-and-skipping approach spends a disproportionate amount
of time generating words that are never hased ?

If that's the problem, then I should point out that with unsalted hashes,
it's clearly optimal to distribute the target patterns (the hashed
passwords) amongst the nodes. Ie, that's not a problem I'm intending to
solve, thought I should provide a script to do that.

Are there "fast and salted" hashes I should be concerned about? If so, what
in your opinion would be the best way to parallelize it?

 Its only advantages are simplicity,
> generality, and preservation of John's near-optimal ordering of
> candidate passwords (as long as all nodes remain online and are of the
> same performance).

Only. ;)