Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 17:00:54 +0200
From: "Otheus (aka Timothy J. Shelling)" <otheus@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: NON-MPI parallelizing patch against 1.7.2.

This patch

(a) fixes problems when multiple john processes on different machines are
trying to access the same file (ie, john.pot). It replaces the flock() calls
with lockf() calls. You even see a message on stdout when two processes
collide on the same file.

(b) Adds a launching script to run john.pot in parallel on different hosts.
See the "startpjohn" shell script in the run/ directory. Run it without
options to see a usage summary, and edit the top of the script for your
particular needs. Feedback appreciated.  Note: the use_on_logfile=1 option
doens't work yet.

(c) Added a "task id" to the output of all log messages. This combines the
hostname with process id. (When I do the MPI patch, it will use the MPI-rank
instead of the pid). This is useful when all the log files go to one file.
It's also useful for debugging or figuring out which process on which host
is ill-behaved (god-forbid!)

Solar, I hope you will consider incorporating these into your baseline code.
Since there's no MPI code, and it performs reasonably well, and has minimal
code changes, I think it will be to your liking.

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "john-parallel.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (8398 bytes)