Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 01:40:32 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper Pro

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 10:04:24PM +0200, Joschka Sulzer wrote:
> How about Debian-Linux?
> RPM-Packages are not native for this distribution . Will there be native
> .deb-packages too?

Unless there's commercial demand, which I find unlikely, there will be
no Debian packages of JtR Pro.

However, there are Debian packages of regular non-Pro versions of JtR:

	http://packages.debian.org/experimental/admin/john
	http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/john
	http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/john

These are too conservative at updating to new versions and applying
fixes.  The package in experimental is that of 1.7, while the packages
in unstable and stable are of 1.6 (all of these should have been at
1.7.0.2+ by now).  They also include questionable and poorly implemented
functionality (running John off cron).  Although I've exchanged quite
some e-mails with the Debian package maintainers and some of my
recommendations were implemented, I recommend that the official source
tarball distribution of John be used instead of the current Debian
package.  It's good that the package exists in Debian, though, since
that's how some Debian users become aware of John the Ripper.

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 01:54:58PM -0700, Craig Paterson wrote:
> Or at least something Alien-friendly would do it (for us anyway).

The existing JtR Pro RPM package is most likely already alien-friendly.
You may purchase it and try that out if you like.  If it does not work,
please make use of the money-back guarantee as specified on the JtR Pro
homepage - and I will promptly refund your order.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598