Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 17:08:43 -0400
From: "Arvind Sood" <asood74@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password Hashes loaded vs. ./john --show

Solar Designer,

Thank you once again !

I did the --show with NT and it came up with the original number of hashes.

Is there any special reason why you chose to be cracking NTLM hashes
when you seem to have the (weaker) LM hashes in there as well?

The only reason I loaded it with the NT parameter was based on the
case-sensitive stuff I read about on the forum. Since I was not sure if I
could live with the passwords being displayed in the wrong case, I went in
with the safer option.

Having seen how much quicker it cracked the LM hashes (there are some
accounts for which the --format=LM already shows a password while the
--format=NT is still working)..... I see your point about trying with the LM
format first.

Arvind
- Thanks also for pointing out the ugly habit of doing the "su root" to get
something working :-((