Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:55:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Error while installing Jumbo Patch

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 03:19:17AM -0400, Arvind Sood wrote:
> The OpenSSL documentation says that for "historic reasons" SSL is
> installed in /usr/bin/ssl (refer the OpenSSL INSTALL file).

You probably mean /usr/local/ssl, not /usr/bin/ssl.

> Since many JTR
> users may end up installing it here, would you consider amending the
> MAKEFILE to use this path by default in the -I and -L parameters?

I do not maintain the jumbo patch myself.  Erik Winkler has been doing
that lately.

Erik - I think the best thing to do would be to include both kinds of -I
and -L settings at the same time.  It should not hurt to have extra
directories (even non-existent ones) in the search paths.  Something like:

CFLAGS = ... -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include
LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lcrypto

should work.

BTW, why is the jumbo patch dropping the definition of CPPFLAGS?  This
looks like a bug to me.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598