Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 04:22:53 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using John for cracking single hashes

My suggestion for "--format=raw-md5" with the contributed patch has
brought the discussion to the following question:

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 03:10:38AM +0300, Ali Polatel wrote:
> What are the avaliable formats that I can use?

When you run John with no arguments, it prints the list of supported
command-line options.  For "--format", the official 1.7 (and 1.7.0.x)
gives:

--format=NAME              force ciphertext format NAME: DES/BSDI/MD5/BF/AFS/LM

Notice the list of supported "format" identifiers (six of them here).

For a jumbo-patched build, the output is:

--format=NAME              force ciphertext format NAME: DES/BSDI/MD5/BF/AFS/LM/NT/PO/raw-MD5/IPB2/raw-sha1/md5a/KRB5/bfegg/nsldap/MYSQL/mscash/lotus5/DOMINOSEC

Additionally, with either build, you can use "--test" to have the code
for all of the supported hash/cipher types self-tested and benchmarked.
This also gives slightly longer names for the hashes/ciphers - not the
short identifiers you use with "--format".

> I couldn't find an exact list of the avaliable formats in the documentation.

Actually, it's there.  Here's an excerpt from OPTIONS:

| --format=NAME                   force ciphertext format NAME
|
| Allows you to override the hash type detection.  Currently, valid
| "format names" are DES, BSDI, MD5, BF, AFS, and LM.  ...

P.S. Please only quote relevant context in your responses, not entire
messages you're responding to.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar