Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 03:36:17 +0000
From: "jay rubin" <cjride@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new at this cracker business

>But even if you happen to interrupt a session in an unclean way (e.g.,
>on a power outage), you should still be able to restore it.  That's
>because John saves checkpointing information in the .rec file for the
>session at regular intervals (by default, every 10 minutes).

Wasn't sure if the session thing was just for unix.  It seems I remember
something about actually being able to have session ids in unix.  I've
looked at the log file and saw that it seemed to have picked up right from
where it had left off.  Thought there might still have been a more elegant
way to break off a session such as a max run time.

Thanks again for all the help you've been.  I really think that as you said,
john was built for a mixture of platforms, and I was confused when I read
the documentation.  Maybe moving all the info for one platform together and
a big label for each section would help.   But it until I tried using john
and with your help going back did I really understand what was going on.  I
should have printed it out and really analyzed it.  Part of it too was that
I'm not an expert in area.