Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 02:53:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John-the-ripper run on Trusted HP-UX

I wrote, commenting on the output of a cracking session against a HP-UX
password file:

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 02:08:33PM -0700, Greg Barry wrote:
>      Am I correct to assume that john has run against the first 8 chars
> of the passwd  as well as the characters past 8

Yes.

John runs against all of the loaded password hashes - and against both
halves of split ones (whenever applicable) - in parallel.

The reason only second halves got cracked in your case is that they're
shorter and thus easier to crack.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar