Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:40:46 +0200
From: "Frank Dittrich" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: problems with umlauts in charset-files

Uwe Danz wrote:
>But it seems that umlauts and a special german "s" can not be part of the
>*.chr file. And much worse - lines with valid passwords and containing
>special characters (e.g. umlauts) will be completely ignored. (in my
>example
>only the last line was parsed)

A remark in the john-1.7.0.1 announcement suggests you can

Uwe Danz wrote:
>But it seems that umlauts and a special german "s" can not be part of the
>*.chr file. And much worse - lines with valid passwords and containing
>special characters (e.g. umlauts) will be completely ignored. (in my
>example
>only the last line was parsed)

A remark in the john-1.7.0.1 announcement suggests you can
overcome this restriction by adjusting params.h

I suggest to upgrade to at least john-1.7.0.1, and
change the definition of CHARSET_MAX in params.h to your needs.
#define CHARSET_MAX 'Ü' should work.
Make, however, sure you read the comments before changing the
definition.
Then, rebuild john, and let us know whether it works as expected.

>I found some hints about umlauts only in the “john.conf” file:
> > This defines the keyboard layout, by default for a QWERTY keyboard.
> > Please note that the sizes of m[] and mc[] arrays assume 7-bit
> > characters and will need to be doubled for 8-bit characters such as
> > umlauts.

That's totally unrelated to your problem.

Regards, Frank