Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:55:20 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: getting cracking speed info with nohup

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:36:07AM +0000, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> When running nohup ./john passwdfile &, how can I found out the speed of
> the cracking the way you can when you just run ./john passwdfile and
> press enter to see what it is trying and how many combinations a second
> is is doing..?

Use "john --status".  This will give you the combinations per second,
but not the particular candidate passwords being tried.

To get the most up to date information out of the running John, send it
a SIGHUP (e.g., with "killall -HUP john") right before you request the
status.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar