Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:38:49 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems Compiling

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:29:58PM -0500, Hansel Roush wrote:
> I'm running an up to date version of Fedora Core 5
>

> [root@...-host-5 src]# make clean linux-x86-any

This was not a part of your question, but I'll comment on it anyway:

1. Extracting third-party tarballs and compiling software as root is a
bad practice.  You could want to try to develop a habit to never compile
software as root.  It might save you one day.

2. You almost certainly want "linux-x86-mmx", not "linux-x86-any" in
order to use your non-ancient CPU optimally.

> memory.h:13:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
[...]

> What am I doing wrong or what package am I missing?

Most likely you don't have glibc-devel installed, possibly something
else as well.  You can't compile any C programs (not just John) on that
system until you install the proper packages.

Hope this helps.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar