Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:23:21 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Phantom <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: JtR: setting up symbols wordlist rules

Swoosh <swoosh@...> writes:

> Hello gmane community,
>
> i want to setup a passwd cracking tool and because of the good documentation i
> choose john. i want crack passwords with the wordlist mode and i want to
> append/prepend symbols, letters and digits. i have append/prepend letters and
> digits with $[a-zA-Z0-9]. But how can i append/prepend symbols? '?s','?s?x' is
> not valid. maybe i understood the syntax wrong.
>
> thk for help, sry for my english
>
> swoosh

You can't use character classes like that (atleast to my knowledge).
You have to specify the symbols you want to add, like
$[$%^&*()\\-_+=|\<>\[\]{}#@/~]
You have to "escape" some of the characters used by the preprocessor itself with
 \. These are \, -, [ and ]

>From JTR documentation:
There are some special characters in rules ("[" starts a preprocessor
character list, "-" marks a range inside the list, etc.)  You should
prefix them with a backslash ("\") if you want to put them inside a rule
without using their special meaning.  Of course, the same applies to "\"
itself.  Also, if you need to start a preprocessor character list at the
very beginning of a line, you'll have to prefix it with a ":" (the no-op
rule command), or it would be treated as a new section start.