Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:25:55 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Phantom <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: roadmap

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

>Just set "Idle = Y" in john.conf (or john.ini) - the current versions of
>John support that already, and it works on both Unix and Windows.  Maybe
>"Idle = Y" should be made the default, but I'm afraid that John would be
>getting unfair benchmarks against its "competition".

Ok, but then a setting for each CPU would be nice.
So one could have Idle0=N and Idle1=Y :)

> Too specific (it's not only about usernames) and too long.

Hmmm, not only about usernames? But the usernames ARE the basis for this attack,
are they not?
Agree the name is too long, but would still say that it is about usernames.

> "bruteforce" (or "brute-force", or "brute force") is being used to refer
> to so many different things that the only way to avoid the ambiguity is
> to avoid using this buzzword entirely.

Point taken. How about stat(istical)-attack?