Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:41:53 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Incremental Alpha Quagmire

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 06:48:58AM -0800, Arias Hung wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Solar Designer delivered in simple text monotype:
> >Use all.chr.  If you really want uppercase letters to be treated as if
> >they were as common as lowercase ones, you can define an external mode
> >or generate a custom .chr file from a fake john.pot.
> <---snip--->
>
> Thank you for clarifying, however do you might be able to provide an example
> of what the john.pot would look like?

:a
:b
:c
:X
:Y
:Z

> Perhaps an included sample of a fake
> john.pot would be quite useful in the docs section

I disagree.  Just like the .rec files (on which I've added a FAQ entry
recently), john.pot is not meant to be edited or otherwise processed
manually.  I really do _not_ recommend that you do what I've explained
above - other than to see that your proposed approach is no good. ;-)

Yes, John the Ripper "experts" can reasonably edit john.pot files
manually or process them with self-made scripts.  But the experts don't
need this documented.

Besides, it is trivial to obtain a john.pot sample.  All you need to do
is have John "crack" your very own password (which you may supply to
"john --stdin").

> or even if the format matters at all?

Of course, it does.

> In my case would a john.pot with upper and lower alphabet letters only in
> order to generate a .chr file simply be a textfile with a block of 52
> characters
> randomly mixed up?

Not exactly - please see above.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar