Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:12:46 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Radim Horak <yesbody@...nam.cz>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Custom .chr files w/o .pot

Mark Shaw <mnshaw@...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to create a custom .chr file without first having any
> cracked passwords?

You can define incremental mode with custom chars in john.ini (see doc/EXAMPLES)
with the help of "Extra=" and "CharCount=" commands. It would be then enough to
write one or more possible password candidates in the john.pot like this
:my_password
and then generate the .chr file and define it's custom mode in ini.

> For a rather involved reason, I'm trying to crack my own password.
> I know the length, and some characters that are defnitely present,
> and some that are definitely not.  I'd like to exploit this knowledge
> to run an incremental crack using a reduced character set.

If you have good knowledge about at least half of the password and if it's not
too long/complex (under 10 characters), then I would recommend to write all the
possible biggest parts of the password to the wordlist and generate the
uncertain characters with wordlist rules (see doc/RULES). In this way you have
greater control on the generation of the password candidates and you can better
exploit the knowledge about the positions of the characters in the password.

-Radim