Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:56:17 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Radim Horak <yesbody@...nam.cz>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: john improvement suggestions - vc compilation test

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:42:51AM +0000, Radim Horak wrote:
> > The most important/critical vc option for improving LM
> > performance seems to be "/arch:SSE"
>
> Hardly, unless you've actually tested with/without this option before
> you came to this conclusion.

Yeah - hardly. That's why I dropped it from the orig. post. And then the "magic"
was gone when I was compiling 1.6.40 version.
So yes, I've actually tested this with and without this option. The /arch option
has 2 values (SSE and SSE2) - both are producing the same binaries (except for
the 3 bytes at 0x04 offset) for john (so the speed is also the same). I've
tested it on AthlonXP and on Athlon64 and the relative improvement is similar.
I'm not gonna post another john --test results, either believe me or not or test
it for yourselves.

-Radim