Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:23:09 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Ikari <deug1a@...oo.fr>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: understanding the encryption method

        Lyn Scott <lindey_scott@...> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an OpenUnix 8.0.0 box and i am trying to check
> the /etc/shadow. I have an user (e.g something like
> this user_1:ThnJx./KPgulI) so am i rigth if i suppose
> that crypt/DES is used ('cause the string is 13 char
> long/with Th is my Salt). When i check the john.pot it
> gives me a result for my usrer_1 (e.g my_passw). But
> my real password for user_1 is not my_passw but
> my_passwd. So how can you use john for password longer
> as 8 char (using crypt/DES).
> I have another question... I have another Linux box
> (Suse9.2) The /etc/shadow is encrypted using BlowFish.
> How can I recognize if the Password is encrypted using
> BlowFish or DES.
>
> thx in advance
>

> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail

Hello,

        Concerning your first question : generally old systems like the
OpenUnix you're quoting are using old DES encryption scheme which limits the
size of the password to 8 characters. So even if you enter a 15 chars long
password it will automatically be truncated to 8 chars by the system and
only those 8 chars are then encrypted.

So don't worry john has found the right password. Anyway to go further on
this question on systems using schemes like MD5, blowfish... password can be
longer and to tell john to go beyond 8 chars you'll have to modify one or
more sections of john.ini to set max password length not to 8 but to
whatever you want. Anyway i don't think you'll find a password longer than 8
un less you know part of it...

        Concerning your second question : when you supply the password file
using to john it should automatically tell you which crypt scheme has been
used. Furthermore to distinguish DES from Blowfish: blowfish encrypted
passwords are generally a very long string with one or several $ in the
beginning of this string.

              I hope this answers helps you.

                    See you.

                            Ikari.