Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 03:20:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Administrivia - offtopic postings

Dear john-users, :-)

This posting serves to describe my current stance on offtopic postings,
and on what, in my opinion, should (not) be posted to this mailing list.
(I might write a formal list charter eventually.)

The following are some examples of topics which are desirable on this
mailing list:

+ Sharing of experience with using John the Ripper (case studies, useful
hints, reviews, benchmarks, etc. - and follow-up postings to those, with
corrections, comments, and/or reasonable questions).

+ Announcements of other tools to be used in conjunction with John the
Ripper (shell scripts, JtR source code patches, separate applications).
Small pieces of source code may be posted to the list, whereas for
large and/or binary files only download URLs may be posted.

+ Discussions of the inner workings of John the Ripper.

+ Discussions of other _closely_ related matters (e.g., password
security of different operating systems, password security policies and
how to enforce them).

The following are some topics which are _not_ closely related and are
considered offtopic here:

- Questions on how to crack passwords of remote systems (e-mail
accounts, websites, etc.), without prior access to password files of
those systems.  Follow-up postings to such offtopic questions.

As an exception, case studies and _advanced_ descriptions of remote
attacks with subsequent uses of John the Ripper may be posted.

- Private discussions, or any messages which are unlikely to benefit
more than a single intended recipient (e.g., "I'll answer your question
soon").  These should be sent to the particular recipient, not to the
mailing list.

What I intend to be doing on offtopic postings is usually an immediate
unsubscribe plus addition to the mailing list manager's "deny" list.
This may seem a little harsh, but it actually helps both the person
being removed (who has obviously joined the list by mistake) and the
remaining subscribers.

If the number of offtopic postings keeps growing, I will make this list
pre-moderated even for current subscribers, slowly adding those who make
on-topic postings to an "allow" list.

P.S. "sinu" had been unsubscribed right away.  Radivoje Bojovic aka
Mindmaster is still with us, -- but please refrain from further offtopic
postings.  Most of the subscribers aren't interested in knowing that
you're going to answer someone else's offtopic question in about 5 days.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar