Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:14:38 -1000 (HST)
From: Tim Newsham <newsham@...a.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Cracking japanese passwords?

Hi,  I don't use John very often so I'm not too saavy with its
rule engine.  I had an idea while using John and was wondering if
it would be feasible to write set of john rules to implement it.
The idea is based on a realization that there arent very many
japanese letters and they are usually represented by combinations
of two or three roman letters.  Enumerating all possible combinations
of these letters that results in unique strings up to 8 characters
long should be fairly easy to do.  I count about 100 unique combinations
that one, two or three characters long.  If you look at all 4-character
combinations that is only 100^4, which is a very small space.

So, how hard would it be to write John rules that would generate
all combinations of up to four "words" taken from a wordlist of
100 items?  Would it be better to write a custom generator for
this?  Does John have such hooks for adding generators?

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/