Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:38:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Administrivia - Fredrick Regnery and other Hotmail and Yahoo clowns

Hi,

I've unsubscribed Fredrick and added his two e-mail addresses to the
deny list.  Currently, only subscribers can post to john-users,
postings from non-subscribers will be submitted to me for moderation.
Feel free to educate Fredrick of some netiquette via private e-mail.

Let me also use this opportunity to share some curious statistics.
Those only interested in John the Ripper itself rather than in the way
this mailing list is run are free to not read any further. ;-)

This list has existed since May 11th.  There're currently 56 subscribers.

There have been some 300+ subscription _attempts_ via the web interface
alone.  Most of these attempts (200+) were with Hotmail and Yahoo e-mail
addresses.  Out of the 200+ Hotmail/Yahoo addresses, only 20 have
correctly confirmed their subscriptions (and 19 of those are currently
on the list, with Fredrick removed).  Hotmail is actually somewhat
worse than Yahoo: only 5 out of 100+ people have confirmed their
subscriptions.  At first, I suspected that there's a technical
problem with Hotmail, so I've even tried registering for an account
myself.  Yes, there's a problem, kind of, -- the confirmation e-mail
address in the message body is not correctly hyperlinked.  However,
simply clicking Reply, then Send gets the subscription confirmed.  So
the problem is primarily with the Hotmail users.  I suspect that the
same applies to Yahoo.

Essentially, we've got a trivial IQ test for prospective subscribers,
and perhaps this is actually quite good for a discussion list.  A few
clowns will still pass this "test" (it is trivial, after all), but
most are rejected right away.

Another curious detail is that most Hotmail users who attempted to
subscribe to Openwall mailing lists are from APNIC countries.  Perhaps
Hotmail is simply more popular there than it is in the US or Europe.
I'm not sure why this is so.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar