Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:34:08 +0200
From: Michael Behrisch <behrisch@...ormatik.hu-berlin.de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Comparing John session files and more

Am Sonntag, 15. Mai 2005 01:19 schrieb Solar Designer:
> > The following questions occur:
> > Is it save to restore a session with a different passwd than
> > it was interrupted with?
>
> Usually, yes.  But this means editing the recovery file, which is an
> undocumented territory and subject to change without notice.

Well, I don't edit the recovery file, I simply change the contents of
the passwd file, thus I should be fine.

> > How do I know whether the second process did catch up?
> > (At the moment I do compare the rule number in wordlist mode
> > and the entry number in incremental mode which are both recorded
> > in the .rec file. Is that the right thing to do?)
>
> Yes, -- if this is sufficient precision for you.  In "incremental"
> mode, you need to realize that you have to wait for the entry number
> to become greater than it is in your original run on the full file.
> It is insufficient to wait for the numbers to become equal since there
> may be a large number of candidate passwords to try for each entry and
> your original John run might be already past a significant fraction of
> those.

This is also true in wordlist mode (if comparing rule numbers only)
and it is exactly what the script does.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

--
Michael Behrisch (Tel. +49 30 2093-3123)
HU Berlin, Institut fuer Informatik, Arbeitsgruppe Algorithmen