Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 05:25:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Whom Ever <amwhoever@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: *.chr files

Solar Designer,

I know I'm just learning about passwords and
incremental (aka brute force) cracking but I'm a bit
confused on the *.chr files.  I would have though
all.chr would contain only the 95 printable characters
and yet the file is > 250k!  I mean since john can
check the LM split simultaneously there would be
(95-26)^7 possibilities as I see it, right?  If you
divide that by the c/s these LM's are identified
fairly quickly (100s of hours).  I must really be
missing something here (no surprise)!  These appear to
be "binary" files so not sure how they are used but
john can also create custom *.chr files for a *.pot
file as you mentioned earlier.  Could you provide some
tutelage on this.

Also, this brings up one more point.  Some NT hashes
might use ALT-characters.  Is it possible to include
such characters in *.chr files.

I'm getting a handle on rules and configuring john,
BUT the internals I can't seem to get my head around
just yet.  My apologies for the lack of depth on my
part and I appreciate your patience.

Thanks.

Yahoo! Mail