Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Whom Ever <amwhoever@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: LANMAN and NT Hash ?s...basic

I'm sorry for asking a noob question but I have a sam
file that I ran
GetHashes.exe (SamInside) on and I'm not sure how to
get JtR to work on the
NT hash (really XP hash) part.  It autodetects the
LANMAN portion and goes to
work, I tried the --format option but none of the
other options loaded any
passwords.  JtR can crack NT hashes, right?  And XP
uses NT hashes too?  When
I ran GetHashes I did NOT have the SYSTEM file so that
may be part of the
problem...not sure.

Example from john.pot (not a working one...I modified
some data):
User:57Q7T4R23E@:1007:14806rd271e60f5re2549d67eb6ef6b1:::

Now, the NT hash is after the 1007: right?

It's my understanding with 2k and XP that if you use a
password longer than 14
characters nulls are entered in the LANMAN portion so
in that case you have
to use the NT hash portion, right?

Also, if JtR does do NT hash, wouldn't a module to get
the LANMAN and then try
the 2^n letter case combinations to run against the NT
hash be fairly easy to
add.  I'm probably way off base here or this already exists!

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html