Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 13:49:10 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Backporting HOME patch to core

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 03:18:12PM +0800, Adrian Ho wrote:
> I'm currently fixing the Homebrew formula for john, and came across this
> old email which features a patch for what I would consider a bug, given
> user expectations regarding tilde expansion in shells:
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2016/01/04/1
>
> I noticed that it's officially released in jumbo, but not in core. Was this
> omitted deliberately, or was it an oversight to be included in a future
> release?

This is one of many potential to-do items for core.  This might or might
not get into a core release eventually.  If it does get in, there will
also need to be a corresponding documentation update, and we'd probably
also need to expand $JOHN as an environment variable (when defined) or
explicitly say that we don't.  Alternatively, to fix the user
expectations aspect, I suppose we could add comments in core, and then
keep these differences jumbo-only.

Thanks,

Alexander