Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 20:30:16 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: multi-threaded hash table initialization

On 2015-09-18 19:46, jfoug wrote:
> When I was having every single format fail in the TS, running in -v -v
> showed that it was crashing (I was getting ASAN errors once I built with
> that enabled).  All of that went away when I reverted that commit (I
> don't have the number in front of me right now, I am away from the
> system I worked on to find it).  But even without the asan, I still am
> getting 'some' failures, but these could be long standing problems that
> have to do with the encoding problems we have had with the TS.

We might have a brand new 32-bit and/or non-SIMD problem in raw-md5. The
remaining TS issues are, I believe, neither TS problems nor have
anything to do with all recent changes. I think you will find that
0ae850f1^ (version prior to all of Solar's recent changes) and d5d4edb
(current HEAD) gets mostly the same TS results. There are a few
problems, nothing dramatic but I think they are real bugs in JtR and not
TS. Don't get overwhelmed and start running around in circles, just
calmly pick a format at a time and analyze it ;-)

magnum