Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 12:46:17 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: multi-threaded hash table initialization

When I was having every single format fail in the TS, running in -v -v
showed that it was crashing (I was getting ASAN errors once I built with
that enabled).  All of that went away when I reverted that commit (I
don't have the number in front of me right now, I am away from the
system I worked on to find it).  But even without the asan, I still am
getting 'some' failures, but these could be long standing problems that
have to do with the encoding problems we have had with the TS.

As for the SessionFileProtect in john-local.conf in the TS, I was
running exactly what was in the git repo, so I would have had the same
problems you were seeing Frank.  For the TS, having this set to never is
correct, EXCEPT, we may want to perform a test specifically to see if
that flag is working properly (we could rename john-local.conf for just
that test, or do that test in a temp directory).  But the change you did
to add the 'never' flag is 100% correct.   However, there still is
issues, and again, this smells a lot like encoding problems.