Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 13:32:15 +0800
From: Kai Zhao <loverszhao@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Kai Zhao <loverszhao@...il.com> wrote:

> I try to find the #3 error, here is my step:
>
>     If (did not set FMT_SPLIT_... ) and (binary_size is not 0)
>
>         get the original binary
>
>         change case
>
>         get the current binary
>
>         if (current binary is the same as original binary)
>
>             we should check these formats, maybe it need to add
>             FMT_SPLIT... and unifies case in split()

Here is the patch:

https://github.com/loverszhaokai/JohnTheRipper/commit/01abf3ff176d371441b979fb750c885d3c91f0d9

This patch found some formats which maybe should unify cases
in split() and add FMT_SPLIT_UNIFIES_CASE. Most of these formats
have been found by Jim's patch. There are many formats which my patch
did not catch but Jim's patch did, and there are some formats which my
patch did catch but Jim's patch did not.

Issue created:

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1752

Are the hashes of AFS formats hex-encoded ?
Why do not set FMT_SPLIT_UNIFIES_CASE ?

Thanks,

Kai