Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 12:29:14 -0500
From: JimF <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags

On 9/11/2015 12:10 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Oh, it's clear now. Thanks.

I can not make assurances that my code has caught all of the formats
which have this bug. Also, I can not assure that all of the formats
which I have listing that they have a problem actually do have a problem
(i.e. no assurance that there are not false positives, until we look at
all of them).  However, this logic 'has' caught a pretty large number of
them.  I just could not think of any 'safe' way of automatically finding
more of them short of blindly smashing case of things which 'look' like
hex, only to have all sorts of false errors being shown.  However, NOW
that the 2 'acceptable' checks which are !valid()  or split($c)!=$c
being allowed, 'may' make a blind hex smashing check work, and possibly
could also show where valid itself is too promiscuous.   So that
actually may be a good direction to take (I have not tested that theory
out).

It all boils down to ability to 'catch more' vs time wasted tracking
down 'false failures' or having to write a large white-list. However,
once we get all of the formats 'fixed' (or fixed and whitelisted), we
may actually want to turn some of these extreme checks on in a default
manner (or at least a manner we use on our CI build bots). That would
force all new formats to be written correctly from the start, proper
valid() and proper split() if they use hex encoding.   However, there
are a LOT of formats which have to be corrected prior to getting to the
point of making this logic be the default logic.  And each format does
have to be approached properly.  Some SHOULD adjust valid(), so that
only specific hashes would be allowed.  Other hashes should have a split
that unifies the layout. Even others should adjust both of these
functions.  So it is not always a 10 minute trivial change.