Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 00:04:21 +0800
From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SHA-1 H()

On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:43 PM, Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com> wrote:

>> What we need for benchmarking is the maximum number of threads supported
>> in hardware on a certain number of CPU cores (on 1 core is OK if you
>> can't reliably use the entire machine's cores).  So on POWER8 I guess
>> you'll run 8 threads all locked to one physical CPU core.  You should be
>> able to do that with OpenMP env vars (affinity).
>
> I'll post the updated results later.

The format prefix 'pbkdf2-hmac-' is omitted below.

On ARM (2xOMP):

[before]
MD4:	2576 c/s real, 1288 c/s virtual
MD5:	1651 c/s real, 825 c/s virtual
SHA1:	578 c/s real, 290 c/s virtual

[after]
MD4:	2608 c/s real, 1304 c/s virtual
MD5:	1600 c/s real, 803 c/s virtual
SHA1:	501 c/s real, 250 c/s virtual

MD4 becomes a little bit faster; MD5 & SHA1 become slower.

On Power (8xOMP, bound to a single core)

[before]
MD4:	28248 c/s real, 3531 c/s virtual
MD5:	19980 c/s real, 2497 c/s virtual
SHA1:	10593 c/s real, 1322 c/s virtual

[after]
MD4:	31207 c/s real, 3882 c/s virtual
MD5:	19980 c/s real, 2489 c/s virtual
SHA1:	11273 c/s real, 1409 c/s virtual

On Power (1xOMP)

[before]
MD4:	13398 c/s real, 13398 c/s virtual
MD5:	10626 c/s real, 10626 c/s virtual
SHA1:	8533 c/s real, 8533 c/s virtual

[after]
MD4:	14628 c/s real, 14628 c/s virtual
MD5:	10935 c/s real, 10935 c/s virtual
SHA1:	8947 c/s real, 8947 c/s virtual

At least there's no performance drop on Power. BTW, It looks Power's SMT performance is not very impressive.

Lei