Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 17:23:55 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FMT_OMP_BAD

Kai, magnum -

Kai - you tend to over-quote.  Please try to quote relevant context only.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 09:35:32PM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> There are some dynamic formats below 4.0 or 7.0. Other than dynamic
> formats, there are 38 formats below 4.0 and 96 formats below 7.0. They
> are in the attached .txt file.

With "Only one salt" lines removed (which didn't correspond to unique
formats anyway), there are 19 formats below 4.0 and 55 below 7.0.

> What I need is to add FAST_FORMATS_OMP
> for the 38 formats which below 4.0, and add FMT_OMP_BAD for the
> 96 formats which below 7.0 ?

For 19 and 55, yes, with some exceptions:

Sybase-PROP is being discussed separately, see postings on it yesterday.
We should fix it to scale better.

wpapsk is in there by mistake.  It's a slow format that should show good
OpenMP scaling, and it does when I test it now:

[solar@...er run]$ OMP_NUM_THREADS=1 ./john-omp -test -form=wpapsk
Warning: OpenMP is disabled; a non-OpenMP build may be faster
Benchmarking: wpapsk, WPA/WPA2 PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 128/128 AVX 4x]... DONE
Raw:    1308 c/s real, 1308 c/s virtual

[solar@...er run]$ OMP_NUM_THREADS=10 ./john-omp -test -form=wpapsk
Will run 10 OpenMP threads
Benchmarking: wpapsk, WPA/WPA2 PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 128/128 AVX 4x]... (10xOMP) DONE
Raw:    11560 c/s real, 1154 c/s virtual

There must have been some glitch during my benchmarks causing wpapsk to
appear to scale poorly.

It is weird that Raw-SHA1 and Raw-SHA1-ng would be treated differently,
even though they are in fact on different sides of the 4.0 threshold:

Ratio:  3.13780 real, 0.31346 virtual   Raw-SHA1:Raw
Ratio:  4.45613 real, 0.46748 virtual   Raw-SHA1-ng, (pwlen <= 15):Raw

I've just confirmed this with some benchmarks I ran.  The most important
difference between these two is that -ng is limited to handling
passwords of up to 15 characters long only, which allows it to run
slightly faster.  I'm unsure whether we want to add the compile-time
default for OpenMP support into the mix as well or not.  I think our
options are: disable OpenMP by default only for Raw-SHA1 (as per the 4.0
threshold) or for both Raw-SHA1 and Raw-SHA1-ng (to treat them the
same).  I think I'd prefer us to do the latter.  Another reason to treat
them the same is that I suspect the better performance of -ng would be
less profound when running on a currently typical end-user machine with
4 physical cores and 8 logical CPUs.  (We may confirm this.)

I'd like magnum's comments on this.

Alexander