Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 00:01:33 +0200
From: Agnieszka Bielec <bielecagnieszka8@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: my yescrypt and lyra2 benchmarks

>> > In other words, you do still have some memory (de)allocation overhead in
>> > the cracking loop for Lyra2?  That's not great.  Even if the overhead is
>> > actually negligible (since those allocations are small), we wouldn't
>> > know that reliably until we've tried eliminating it.  Please do.
>> >
>> > ... or did I misunderstand, and those small malloc()s are invoked
>> > outside of the cracking loop?  Where?
>>
>> outside in set_salt()
>
> This isn't entirely outside.  With many hashes with different salts
> loaded for cracking at once, set_salt() will be invoked once per each
> (at most) max_keys_per_crypt candidate passwords.

but I have
if(prev_saved_salt.m_cost==saved_salt.m_cost &&
prev_saved_salt.nThreads==saved_salt.nThreads &&
prev_saved_salt.nCols==saved_salt.nCols)
        return;

I was thinking about only choose the biggest values but lyra2 has many
parameters and many arrays and if I had wanted to choose the biggest
all arrays here there would exists the situation that we don't have
enough memory and we have enough memory using this code above.
anyway for the same costs (and they are the same here) this isn't bad

>> > Sounds fine.

>> > I don't understand your question.
>>
>> I'm asking if it's ok to have allocating at first call crypt_all, above
>
> Yes, that's OK.  The only overhead is then a conditional branch, which
> is clearly negligible compared to the time spent in these slow hashes.

even there is no overhead in this situation (--test is passed and
--skip-self-test is not passed)