Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 22:03:35 +0800
From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LibreSSL vs OpenSSL on MIC

> On Jun 14, 2015, at 10:22 PM, Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com> wrote:
>
> There's no noticeable difference at least for these formats. Perhaps it's not a bad idea to switch to OpenSSL. Before that, I need to check if OpenSSL can pass all self-tests on MIC this time.

Now I finally run through all the self-tests, using JtR linked with OpenSSL on MIC. All formats pass self-tests except for dominosec8, which just segfaults. (https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1452 <https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1452>)

Yet there're still something wrong in dynamic formats. Some formats would fail with SIMD_PARA_MD4 bigger than 1. Potentially more issues would arise with other combination of interleaving factors. (https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1437 <https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1437>)

Anyway I think it's safe to use the latest OpenSSL with JtR on MIC now. I've updated the instructions on building either OpenSSL or LibreSSL for MIC.

Lei

Content of type "text/html" skipped