Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:25:08 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mathieu's weekly report #7

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 6:38 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> - I found and fixed a big show stopper for our release, cygwin jumbo latest version and Johhnny didn't work on Windows. I made a crash report and played with GDB
>
> - I found and fixed two bugs regarding the new tab widget for selecting of john mode. First bug had the effect of loosing parameters with new attacks. We can't rely on the isVisible() method. Second bug was option incremental external name not working. See https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/pull/29 <https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/pull/29>
> - Fix https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/issues/26 <https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/issues/26>
Thanks for these fixes.

> 4) Follow-up the discussion regarding which platform we should support for johnny upcoming release for binary packaging and source testing on john-users. So far, I asked again if users had other requests but didn't get other answer since last week(OS X mavericks and up and Windows 32/64). I'll  give it another try and make a brand new thread on the list with another title to get people attention this week.

I think we should lock in at just OS X and Windows redistributables. There were no other requests and I also don't think we can handle more than just that. I'm also inclined to think that if we do a good job, distributions will pick up Johnny "on their own" for inclusion in the main repos, without us having to prepare and maintain deb's and rpm's that might or might not work on various distros and the rapid release schedules that most follow nowadays.

> Priorities:
> - Terminate the multiple session management task

Let's stop at this in regards to new features development.

> - Integrate it and the other bugfixes to shinnok/master.
> - Have the qt installer working for johnny on windows
> - Continue testing with different use-cases and bugfix for release

Continue with this yes.

> - Dhiru asked me to test the mingw build of jumbo for window on monday this week. I found out that exiting with CTRL_C or 'q' isn't working with  the windows command line(and also with johnny) (see http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/06/15/4 <http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/06/15/4>). I'll keep an eye on this discussion because if CTRL_C makes john crash, CTRL_C_EVENT will make it crash too so it'd be interesting that johnny support cygwin build AND mingw build.

They are quite different. While it might be interesting, let's leave the MinGW consideration for the future.

I'm done with the public release of Tarsnap GUI (https://github.com/Tarsnap/tarsnap-gui), wouldn't hurt to browse it for a bit. Much juice there in regards to Qt/Johnny. I should be able to return to the previous levels of availability, now that I'm over this release.

Thanks for the good work,
Shinnok

Content of type "text/html" skipped