Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 21:55:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LibreSSL vs OpenSSL on MIC

On 2015-06-14 16:22, Lei Zhang wrote:
> When I first built JtR for MIC, I didn't find the proper way to build
> the latest OpenSSL(1.0.2), so I just opted for LibreSSL as
> replacement. Recently I found out how to build OpenSSL and am
> considering switching to it for MIC, since JtR uses OpenSSL by
> default. I'm also interested if there's any performance penalty in
> switching between OpenSSL and LibreSSL on MIC, so I just did a quick
> test on that. I picked some formats that use OpenSSL, though I'm not
> sure how heavily they depend on it. Here're the results
> (--openmp-disabled):
> (...)
> There's no noticeable difference at least for these formats. Perhaps
> it's not a bad idea to switch to OpenSSL. Before that, I need to
> check if OpenSSL can pass all self-tests on MIC this time.

It's a good thing we saw that LibreSSL works fine (and is as fast) as
OpenSSL. For MIC it may make sense to test both (and keep instructions
for building both but pointing out that any one of them is fine). For
other systems (just autoconf with whatever exists) we should just detect
what we have and use it.

If I recall right you didn't have to do anything very special with
autoconf to use LibreSSL, right? It was seen just as if it was an
OpenSSL installation?

magnum