Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 22:51:20 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny: plan of releases

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:51 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com <mailto:admin@...nnok.com>> wrote:
>
> I propose we work on the Release the week of 22-26. This is right before the mid-term evaluation. We do a nice wrapup of the work done so far, presented in a usable form. :-)
>
> Do we agree on this?
> I agree for the date. By the way, do you want to static link qt latest version in johnny(I think at least on Windows, it's a must, maybe qt won't be installed or maybe the qt installer that you talked in the other thread takes care of that, I'll have to check that) or dynamically linking ?

We can't consider static linkage for two reasons. One because we'd be infringing the LGPL on Qt and second because they're such a pain on Linuxes.

For the platforms we'll consider making redistributables, we'll include only the needed Qt shared libraries we need in our case. Two or three so far with Qt 5, which is more modular than version 4 and thus eases that pain a lot.

I think for Windows we should be looking at the Qt Installer first, you can start on that when you wish, see how it goes, what it produces, then report back with your findings.

For OS X, it's just a .dmg, which is just a compressed archive with the .app and likely JtR included(in that .app). Installing Johnny would just be a matter of copying the .app out of the .dmg to wherever the user wishes, that's common practice for most apps on OS X that don't install system services and/or kernel extensions. So OS X is not much of a pain at this point and Qt helps with both the .app(the build process already generates that) and the dmg(see tool macdeployqt).

Shinnok
Content of type "text/html" skipped