Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 06:33:03 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.4.2 fork and OpenMP

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 3:04 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> @Aleksey
> c) Investigate further about why m_johnProcess.write("q");write("q)  or m_johnProcess.write("q\r\n"); etc. doesn't work. @Aleksey, I have seen in johnny code that you have already used the write method in Johnny but it's commented // TODO: However it does not work as of we do not have terminal. . So I guess that you had problem in the past with the write method, do you remember if it worked ?
> // void MainWindow::on_pushButton_JohnStatus_clicked()
> // {
> //     // When we want to get John status we send enter to John. Then
> //     // John write something to its stdout. We do not need to read its
> //     // output here because when output is ready to be read a signal is
> //     // fired and we read John output with status as any other John's
> //     // output.
> //     // TODO: However it does not work as of we do not have terminal.
> //     // TODO: Why do we write to John even when it is not running?
> //     m_johnProcess.write("a\r\n");
> // }

Unfortunately this is a JtR perk. I'm looking in tty.c:
void tty_init(int stdin_mode)

and it expects one of these two possible states:
1. Stdin mode; this is the mode that Johnny's usage via QProcess falls into and why writing "a\r\n" doesn't work, it's probably taken as a wordlist input
2. Explicit tty mode;

We need to find middle ground for Johnny's sake.

Shinnok

Content of type "text/html" skipped