Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 12:14:33 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Mathieu's weekly report #1

Weekly report #1 is for my work on Johnny for the week starting April 27th.

Accomplishments:

*I read documentation, set up JtR in Netbeans and understand more the code
of JtR and johnny.

** I did task add -- fork support to Johnny*. I encountered some issues.
*1- When using --fork, I found out lock problems on files and children
still running when johnny sent sigterm to john main process. I tested a lot
with the "top" command and I found out that the bug was JtR only kills its
children when ascii code 3 ( CTRL-c) or 'q'. is pushed on the keyboard, not
with signals.

I reported it, fixed it, submitted to john-proper. Solar found a better way
to fix the bug and it's now part of john-proper cvs repo.

*2- We still had to support older versions(prior to the patch) of john, so
I put a fix in johnny to support those.

*I did task 1.4.3 Rename Output tab to Console log/journal and also print
JtR cmds. I also made the console log clearer and fixed an old bug.
Selecting text in console output will make new text appears there instead
of at the end of the console log
Priorities :

For this week(starting on may 4th)

One important thing this week would be to define most of the tasks more to
make sure I'll implement the requirements that you guys want in the next
weeks. It'll make me more autonomous if you guys take a vacation this
summer, I'll be able to take on new tasks easily. Also, I'll focus more on
those points this week:

   - Make a decision with the list for openMP : Do you want the user to
   specify a different number of openmp threads or keep it simple for
   him(default, number of logical cores) ?
   - Implement openMP based on the decision.
   - Implement manual plain-text guessing for individual ciphers (directly
   in the table view)
   - Add tooltips to all UI actions that are not very self explanatory to a
   new comer. I'm not sure which one would benefits from having a tooltips yet
   - Begin discussion on the list about task 1.5.2 which will might start
   this week or next week:hash type suggestion/guessing for individual hashes
   (which is the best way? do we have any support from JtR jumbo with that)

Content of type "text/html" skipped