Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 03:43:31 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advice on proposal: John the Ripper jumbo robustness

On 2015-04-02 13:08, Kai Zhao wrote:
> Last time, I wrote some macros to calculate execution time of some
> functions.
> Now, I use the gprof which can analysis the execution time and invoked
> times.

That's great that you can do it by hand but for this particular task
there are some good tools. gprof or callgrind/kcachegrind would fit well.

> I test with 7z_fmt and attachment is the output log file. The gprof also
> shows
> that the sevenzip_kdf() function spends a lot of time which almost 94.58%.

Are you still working on this? As Lukas pointed out you are probably
running regular cracking. It's predictable that most time it spend
calculating hashes (and it would be suspicious otherwise). When you are
fuzzing hash parsing, john will reject resulting hashes most of the time
so it's interesting to optimize this case.

--
Alexander Cherepanov