Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 14:40:38 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Improving Johnny

Thanks Aleksey and Shinnok for your kind replies.

I looked at the new development roadmap and I think it will be really
interesting. For the proposal, Alexander would like me to do a summer
detailed timeline. Do you have some hints about that ?

Good news, I did the translation feature. Like I said to Alexander, I won't
have a lot of time to invest this week and next week because I have my
final exams. However, I still do my best to work on Johnny while focusing
on my finals. I'll finish school on April 25th and I won't have school or
jobs until september.

First, I reviewed the code to see if the string were marked as
translatable. Almost all of them were. I found a problematic case in
MainWindow::showJohnError. There were two functions in #define and their
strings didn't register as translatable in the .ts file. I refactored it to
make it works and easier to read. After that,I translated all strings to
french since it's my first language. Finally, I added the .qm file to the
resource file to keep everything in the executable. If you want to test it,
you'll have to set your OS language to french. Do you think it would be
useful to add a top down list in Johnny settings to change language for
people who wouldn't want to use their system language ?

Let's celebrate the first pull request of Johnny :) I double checked with
care and Github says that it can be automatically merged. So there doesn't
seem to have any problems. If you prefer to do it manually, no problem :)

Here is the link : https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/pull/1

Here is the procedure that I used in another project that I contributed to
in the past for fun. I always keep my master branch clean and the same as
the original project master (ex:shinnok/master). I do my changes in a
different branch that I keep up to date with my own master. If the project
owner don't accept all the changes from my pull request, it doesn't block
my work because my master is clean and even with the fork's master. I can
then make a new branch and work on something else.  If there is still
important unmerged by the project owner work left in my old branch, I can
"git cherry pick commits" in my new branch. At first, I did make all my
commits on math07/master and it created problems when making pull requests
that were partially merged. Now, I no more do that error ah ah ah !

Content of type "text/html" skipped